ENDEMIC WILDLIFE offers you a wonderful opportunity to have a personal and memorable encounter with the majestic GIANT PEACOCK BASS, also known as PAINTED PAVON or TUCUNARE. This is the largest within the species of the genus Cichla o Tucunares and is considered as the maximum trophy sport fishing in the Amazon and the Orinoco and one of the great trophies of sport fishing in fresh water worldwide.
The average size of an adult in the Amazon basin ranges between 75 and 100 cm and can have an average weight of 12 lbs., but in the basin of the Orinoco River and its tributaries, specimens reach easily 20 pounds weighing up to 27 pounds according to current record of the IGFA.
Colombia and Venezuela are countries where fishing for this species is constant during the summer season, thanks to the great struggle and difficulty which means to obtain one of these magnificent specimens, which in addition to its attractive appearance and striking staining, amateur fishermen from all over the world, make a GIANT PEACOCK BASS capture an unforgettable experience and very appetizing as well shows the growing demand for sport fishing in the unexplored basins of the Amazon and Orinoco rivers.
THE GIANT PEACOCK BASS (Cichla temensis) it is endemic to the middle of the Orinoco River basin and is mainly distributed to the length and breadth of its tributary rivers, although it is also found in lesser proportion in the basin of the Río Negro and in the zone of influence of its outlet to the Amazon River.
Bita River is one of the most beautiful tributaries of the Orinoco River and bathes the extensive savannas of the eastern plains of Colombia, in the Department of Vichada, ending his tour to lead to the South and close to the town of Puerto Carreño (the capital).
It should be noted that the Bita River is the first River in Colombia, covered in the form of environmental care called «PROTECTED RIVER» and that, thanks to this innovative protection figure, currently courses in its territory several conservation programs powered by the intervention of important foundations and environmental organizations around the world, in favors of study and protect its wealth of flora and fauna.
FISHING CAMP AND ECO-TOURISM
Puerto Carreño, capital of the Department of Vichada, has a population of 10,034 inhabitants in an area of 12,409 Km2 and is located near the border with Venezuela, where adjacent to the North of the river goal with the Venezuelan population of Puerto Páez. Due to its strategic location, Puerto Carreño has become a real Center of fishing for the vast majority of the sport fishing programs available in the region.
Our camp or “MORICHAL ECO LODGE” is strategically located close to the Bita River, tributary of the great river Orinoco, two hours in 4 x 4 vehicles from the population of Puerto Carreño and home of our great adventure site.
This unique location allows us to offer to our clients and friends a unique atmosphere of freedom, privacy and interaction with a living nature, coupled with the certainty of an unforgettable experience of fishing, because the Eco Lodge is surrounded of the best lagoons and streams where reigns the great GIANT PEACOCK BASS. It is worth noting the reduced presence or absence of other fishermen due to the distance from Puerto Carreño, which translates into a greater opportunity to have a successful fishing and that great feeling of wild adventure that we all seek.
The “MORICHAL ECO LODGE” is designed and equipped with all comforts and necessary skills to make an unforgettable experience of its fishing program.
The Eco Lodge is constructed from the model of individual cabins to provide greater privacy to our customers and less visual impact. The main cabin has a rest with hammocks and a beautiful room overlooking the river Bita to privilege the rest, there is also the main dining room and kitchen. We have permanent electric power produced by electric generators.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||EL DORADO AIRPORT – Bogotá Colombia|
|DEPARTURE TIME||Please arrive between 12:00 and 6:00 PM|
- Use light quick drying clothing, long sleeve shirts and pants for protection from the sun and insects.
- Tropical zone of high radiation. Use sunblock screen preferable factor 90
- The temperature in the summer is around 35 degrees Celsius at noon and low up to 24 degrees Celsius at night or early morning.
- The rainy season in the Orinoquia goes from mid-April to mid-December, with an intermediate Indian summer in September and October.
- Send in advance the complete personal data for the collective accident insurance.
- ¡DON’T FORGET YOUR YELLOW FEVER AND MEASLES VACCINE!!!
- (12:00 to 6:00 PM.) Welcome Committee at THE DORADO AIRPORT in Bogotá DC.
- Transfer and accommodation in a good hotel in the city of Bogotá DC., During the first night of our Sports Fishing program.
- (7:00 PM.) Opening dinner of our great Wild Fishing Adventure.
- (8:00 AM.) Continental breakfast.
- (9:00 AM.) Departure to visit the sites of tourist interest like THE GOLDEN MUSEUM and HISTORIC DOWNTOWN, among others.
- (12:00 PM.) Transfer to the LOCAL AIRPORT of Bogotá DC.
- (1:00 PM.) Presentation before the airport counter of the SATENA airline in LOCAL AIRPORT of Bogotá DC. (Baggage allowed for 15 kilos).
- (2:00 PM) Lunch at the airport and explanation of the route to follow.
- (4:30 PM.) Departure of the SATENA flight from the LOCAL AIRPORT in Bogotá DC.
- (6:00 PM.) Arrival of the SATENA flight to the GERMAN OLANO AIRPORT of Puerto Carreño.
- (7:00 PM.) Visit to the CITY’S MALECON on the Great ORINOCO RIVER.
- (7:30 PM.) Visit the city’s supermarket to make last minute purchases.
- (8:00 PM.) Transportation in 4X4 vehicles to THE MORICHAL ECO LODGE.
- (10:00 PM.) Welcome refreshment (Without liquor) in THE MORICHAL ECO LODGE.
- Dinner and well-deserved rest.
Days 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8:
- There are six (6) full days of Sport Fishing and Adventure Ecotourism activities, designed to the taste and expectation of the group.
- The schedule to wake up in the morning or start of the different activities will be agreed with each group, taking into account the recommendations of our leaders or main guides to achieve the best results in each one of the activities.
- Breakfast and dinner will be prepared and served at the camp.
- The lunches are prepared and served at the point where the fishing is taking place or in the same camp (according to the design of the fishing program each day).
- The hydration and snacks will go in individual refrigerators for each boat and corresponding to the two fishermen and the motorist.
- (4:00 AM.) Awakened at the ECO LODGE EL MORICHAL.
- (5:00 AM.) Departure from the camp to the city of Puerto Carreño.
- (7:00 AM.) Arrival to the city of Puerto Carreño and breakfast at a typical restaurant in the city.
- (8:00 AM.) Start of the Tour by the majestic ORINOCO RIVER that contemplates several alternatives to choose according to the inclination and taste of each group.
- (2:00 PM.) Arrived at the Malecon or Fluvial Port of Puerto Carreño on the ORINOCO RIVER, and will be the end of the Tour activities.
- Lunch will be served at one of the selected points of interest (Depending on the design of each program).
- (5:00 PM.) Arrival at the GERMAN OLANO AIRPORT of Puerto Carreño.
- (6:30 PM.) Departure from the SATENA direct flight from the GERMAN OLANO AIRPORT to Bogotá DC.
- (8:30 PM.) Arrival of the SATENA flight to the LOCAL AIRPORT in the city of Bogotá DC.
- (9:30 PM.) Accommodation in a good hotel in the city of Bogotá DC., during the last night of our Sports Fishing program.
- (10:00 PM.) Closing dinner for our great adventure.
- (AM.) Breakfast at the hotel according to the departure needs to comply with the International flights itineraries.
- (AM.) Arrival at THE DORADO AIRPORT in the city of Bogotá DC. According to flight itineraries.
- (AM.) Farewell and ¡END OF THE PROGRAM!!!